How my $10k win at poker changed the way I think.

 How I changed my thinking after a $10k poker win


Philipp Kiefel, my coach in poker, asked me again to sign up for an online tournament. It offered a $10,000 first prize (PS7,000/EUR8,250), and Kiefel thought it would be useful practice. Although I'm a scientist writer, I started playing poker as a hobby. Later, I started studying it more seriously in order to write a non-fiction book that will explain how poker can help improve your critical thinking.


I was however out to pick up my daughter from school.


"Picking Up Ava," I answered.


Although I felt guilty, it was not because I was interested in the game that day.


"You have 26 minutes before late registration closes," he said.


I gave up and said, "Will you make it,"


Ava and her friend, Ava, decided to take a taxi home as walking home was not an option. We arrived home in just a few minutes. I went to my room to play with my Lego. She went to her bedroom, while I sat down at the table to play online with strangers.


I defeated 1,666 players on that day and won the tournament to take home the $10,000 prize.


My surprise victory was just the start. I would soon be playing against a controversial poker player I had not met before. He is well-known for his outrageous Instagram style and demeaning comments about women. I would have 15 minutes fame in the poker media. This would draw me into the larger issue about sexism in poker. I would be trained by some of the best poker coaches in the world - people who are my idols and have earned millions of dollars with their skills. They would then become friends. I learned a lot about myself and the game. It changed my perspective and made me see the world differently. All of this began on a December afternoon at my kitchen table.


You might also enjoy:


The sounds that make us think differently

Are you able to discern when someone is lying?

What happens when words are lost at the tip your tongue

Over the last few years, I have been researching a book about the mental advantages of playing poker. As I was writing the book, I realized I would have to include my own experiences to show that I understand how to win. But I'm just an amateur player. I enjoy playing the game like people love running or yoga. So I found a coach in Kiefel, a German-based online poker pro.


His online tournament, which he encouraged me to participate in, was known as a "freeroll" and that was the reason I hesitated to sign up. There is no entry fee for a freeroll. This means that players are more likely to underestimate their chips and play recklessly, thereby wasting their money. They display human psychology at its best: Give people something for nothing and they'll value it less than what they paid. I did not want to waste time playing in what I thought would be a game based on chance. Kiefel had a different perspective. Kiefel stated that it was good to play with people who are less invested. I crushed them. Poker Games

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Sulit untuk dijelaskan': Pemenang Jackpot Lotto EUR19m yang memecahkan rekor mengklaim hadiah mereka

Cara Memenangkan Lotere. Sekarang saatnya untuk membeli tiket lotere Anda.

Lotere: Apa peluangnya?